- Plural of antecedent
An antecedent is a preceding event, condition, cause, phrase, or word.
- Antecedent moisture is a hydrologic term describing the relative wetness condition of a sewershed.
- In logic, an antecedent is the first half of a hypothetical proposition.
- In grammar, an antecedent is the word to which a pronoun refers.
- A musical phrase (music) may be an antecedent or consequent phrase.
- In criminal cases, antecedents are the life history and previous convictions of a defendant.
- In behavioral research, an antecedent stimulus elicits a learned response from an organism.
- In drama and literature, the antecedent action is what occurs prior to the opening of a play or story.
antecedents in German: Antezedens
antecedents in French: Antécédent
antecedents in Slovak: Antecedent